- A new system is now being used for verification in identifying if a postal ID is real or not
- The new system will also be used by the Department of Foreign Affairs as they will be including the postal ID as a valid ID when applying for a passport
- The DFA will start accepting the postal ID as a valid ID starting August 1, 2019
When a person tries to apply for a passport, the expected thoughts would be the long queue to get into the Department of Foreign Affairs offices and the long process that you’ll have to go through, despite being able to register online. There are also a lot of requirements that you’ll be asked to present, including a valid ID.
Presenting a valid ID can be difficult for some, specially those that need to get a passport as soon as possible. Some ID’s cannot be processed immediately and some may even take a month before you can get it.
In a report by ABS-CBN, starting August 1, 2019, applying for a passport might become a bit easier as the DFA will start accepting postal ID’s as a valid ID. This is after a new online system made by PHLPost is implemented, making it easier to identify if the postal ID is forged or not.
This also makes applying for a postal ID easier, too. You will need the following when you apply for one:
- Your birth certificate or any other two valid ID’s
- A baranggay certificate or any proof of billing that is under your name
- A marriage contract if you are a married woman
You will also have the option to go for a regular processing or a rush processing. With regular processing, you’ll pay a fee of P504 and you will get your ID after 10-15 days. Through rush processing, the fee will be P650. You can get the ID then on the same day if you applied before their cut-off of 8:30 AM, and if not, you can get it the next day. In both cases, the release time is in the afternoon, between 4 to 5 PM.
With the postal ID being upgraded so applying for it is faster, this should make it a bit easier for every Filipino to apply for a passport and will be of a lesser hassle for everyone.